WYLD TECHNOTE 63: Wyoming Union List of Periodicals - WULPhttp://will.state.wy.us/wulp/
See also: Technote 98, Creating MARC Holdings for Summary Serial Holdings Statements
The WULP is created from an extract of the information in MARC Holdings entered by libraries in WYLDCAT. A link is available to the eJournal Portal (Serials Solutions) to search for information on journals available online in full text from licensed content aggregators such as EBSCO, Gale, and Proquest.
Library information in the database is updated monthly from an extract of the MARC Holdings statements in WYLD. The database is a 'snapshot' and is not updated in real-time, like the online catalog. Therefore, if you make changes to your MARC holding statements, they will not be reflected in the WULP until another extract has been run. When viewing a title record, a link appears to the WYLDCAT catalog to check for more recent information.
In order to have your library's holdings display in the WULP, you must create a MARC Holdings statement as described in Technote 98. You must have a valid location policy in the 852 field and a description of your holdings in the 866 field. If you have an 852, but do not have an 866 describing the holdings, your information will not be extracted.
The pieces of information displayed are:
- Title and ISSN (if available)
- Library holdings from the 852 and 866 fields
- Publishing information from the MARC record such as preceeding and succeeding titles, publishing start date, and frequency
- See also links to the UW Catalog and WYLDCAT
- A link to search for full text availability in the eJournal Portal (Serials Solutions). [Serials Solutions lists information only for those titles available in full text, not those that are only indexed and abstracted in services like EBSCO]
SEARCHING THE WULP
- Do not include leading articles (a,an,the). If you do not find the title, check your spelling, and try shortening the title, or use the Browse feature to look for the title by the first letter.
- Enter a valid ISSN such as 0362-1596 to search for holdings in the database.
Browse Titles Search:
- Click on the beginning letter of the title. Your results set will be displayed ten titles at a time when not limiting to a particular
library. Click on the title to display owning locations. See below for more information about online titles.
- Subject searching is not available in the WULP.
Narrow your search to a library:
Only libraries with MARC holdings in WYLDCAT are displayed on the library selection page.
When you narrow your search to a library, you will have the same search options as above.
To display all the holdings of a library, click on the 'ALL' option at the end of the title browse list.
- University of Wyoming holdings are not listed in the database (remember the extract is pulled from only from the WYLD database),
however, you may search for UW holdings by clicking on the link labeled "See also: UW Libraries ".
- Online titles that are listed as abstracted/indexed or as full text in a particular database may not necessarily be available in their entirety in that database. It is a common practice that the vendor will only index, abstract, or display full text those ARTICLES from the magazine which are appropriate for that particular database. Therefore, do not necessarily expect to find ALL the articles from a particular ISSUE of a magazine just because it is listed as 'FULL TEXT'.
- There is a HELP file included with the WULP which makes reference to these key points.
- EBSCO databases include a link back to the WULP to check availability for particular titles. This search uses the ISSN field to send the search to the WULP. If no ISSN is available, the search will return zero results.
Please address any questions not answered by this document to Desiree Saunders or Marc Stratton in the WYLD Office.