TECHNOTE 62: Procedure for using the OCLC CatExpress product
Note: CatExpress requires Netscape Navigator 6.1 (or higher) or Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 (or higher) running on any workstation with Internet access.
Use CatExpress only when a suitable record is not found in the WYLD or LCMARC databases. Please search for a suitable record in CatExpress before adding a title in Workflows
- Search the WYLD and LCMARC databases for suitable records.
- Log on to CatExpress:
- Using your Internet browser connect to http://connexion.oclc.org/ (Add address to your "bookmarks" or "favorites")
- Enter your assigned authorization number and password.
- Click on the "log on" button.
- The basic search screen appears. Enter your search screen in the data well. Be sure the radio button indicates the type of search to perform. (Generally WYLD CatExpress users will be searching by ISBN or title.) (Refer to the OCLC CATEXPRESS documentation for complete searching instructions.)
- Verify the information in the record against the information on your item. Once you have selected the most complete and accurate record, click the "Save to Catalog" button.
- The record has now been saved to an electronic file that will be loaded into WYLD at 10 a.m. on the following business day. The loading process automatically generates a dummy item record for the library that cataloged the record in CatExpress. Libraries will need to edit the dummy record to reflect the real item call number, barcode, location, item type and any additional item information using the edit call number/volume wizard in Workflows.