WYLD TECHNOTE 014: Using Director's Station to Gather Statistics for ACRL FY Reporting
Note that ILL statistics for questions 35 and 36 in the questionnaire can be retrieved through VDX using the Monthly ILL Statistics report. You can copy and paste the information into a spreadsheet to summarize the data.
While you can use Director's station to find out total volumes held as of a certain date, volumes withdrawn can only be roughly inferred from the data. The most accurate way to determine number of items withdrawn is to use the 'Remove Discard Items' report in Workflows to remove items whose home location is set to 'DISCARD'. Then you would keep a manual count of the items removed each month.
ACRL Instructions for this category state: "Exclude microforms, maps, nonprint materials, and uncataloged items." However, you will need these counts to answer other questions in the survey, so it is easiest to include them in your general report and then remove them later when you are summarizing the data in Excel or another spreadsheet program.
For the following series of questions:
|1a.||Volumes held (on June 30, previous year):||__________|
|1b.||Volumes added during the year|
|(i) Volumes added – Gross||__________|
|(ii) Volumes withdrawn during previous year||- _________|
|(Net Volumes Added: 1.b.i – 1.b.ii)||= ________|
|1||Volumes held (as of June 30, reporting year): 1.a + 1.b)||__________|
Log in to Director's Station (use Internet Explorer for best results) - http://ds.lib.wy.us/directorsstation/
Use the left hand popout menu to navigate to:
>Technical Services Analysis
>All Cataloging Measures
Editing the Standard Report Criteria
- Limiting to your library's collection.
- In the Dimensions Pool (where other criteria buttons appear), click on the right hand drop down arrow under the Item Library measure.
- Uncheck the All checkbox to deselect all the options and then scroll to find your library.
- Click the checkbox next to your library's name to select counts for only your items.
- Click 'OK' to refresh the report data.
- Note that the Item Library measure will turn green and display the selected library as a visual indication that you have limited the report criteria
- Editing Date Copy Created to find Volumes Held as of a certain date.:
Use the Date Copy Created measure to limit your report. Selecting Date Title Created would not produce desired results, as bibliographic records may have been created outside the reporting dates. To get a measure of items added over time, you should use Date Copy Created.
- In the Dimensions Pool, click on the Date Copy Created measure. All dates will be selected by default. You need to uncheck dates later than the reporting period.
- Scroll down to bottom. Deselect 'NEVER' and any dates later than June 30th of the previous year. E.g. July 2011 and later.
- Click on the year to open the options to select quarters. Uncheck the last two quarters of the previous year.
- Note that the checkbox next to the year will turn green to indicate the limit, although the checkbox is not checked. See example at right.
- Click 'OK' to refresh the report data
- Report Results
The resulting report shows all items (by cataloged item type) added no later than June 30th of the previous year. If you wish to remove some of the item types, click on the item type dimension and then click on the 'Filter Item Type' popup box. The item type options will appear and you can uncheck any you don't want to include in the report.
ACRL uses the ANSI/NISO Z39.7-2004 defintion of volume as: "a single physical unit of any printed, typewritten, handwritten, mimeographed, or processed work..." Therefore, you may wish to remove those items that do not meet that criteria.
Saving and Exporting the report to Excel
- To save this report to access and view or modify later, click on the "Save As" button on the toolbar.
- Enter a new report name.
- Choose My Folder as the selection for Save in Folder
- Unless you tab to 'Director's Station Dashboard' and uncheck the box to save to My SwiftView this report will also appear your Dashboard under SwiftAnalysis.
- If you select Lock Report, changes cannot be made to this saved report
- When finished click OK to save the report.
Number of monographic volumes purchased
While this cannot value be accurately determined by Directors Station (because materials may have been purchased and removed during the year), you can see the number of materials ADDED that are still in your collection using the above report and viewing the rows for item type BOOK, NEW-BOOK, etc. depending on the variety of ways you catalog monographic materials. Volumes purchased may not necessarily equal volumes added during a particular time period.
Other Library Materials & Audiovisual Materials
The above report should also answer these question, depending on your local cataloging practices.
Circulation (total) for FY
You will need to create a new report to answer the following questions:
|33. Initial Circulation Transactions|
34. Total Circulation Transactions
- Use the left hand popout menu in Director's Station to navigate to:
>Public Services Analysis
>All Checkout Measures (Historical)
- Swap the Station Library measure with the FY Jan Dec measure by dragging and dropping the FY Jan Dec measure to hover over Station Library until the angled swap arrows appear. Let go of the mouse button to complete the action.
- Select your library in the Station Library measure in the measures pool. (this is the library where the transactions occured). As above, uncheck the box for 'all' and then check the box next to your library policy name. Click 'OK'.
- Modify the Transaction Dates to select only the Fiscal Year quarters that you need. Note that this example uses the FY Jan Dec to avoid the confusion often caused by selecting a different FY range from the measures pool.
For data only from the previous Fiscal Year (July 2010 to June 2011 in this example):
- Click on the FY Jan Dec measure
- Click on Filter FY Jan Dec...
- Collapse the selection tree so that you only see the box for 'All' by clicking on the blue minus sign.
- Uncheck the box to uncheck all boxes below it
- Expand the selections again by clicking on the blue plus sign
- Now select only those quarters you want to count in the report
- In this example, that is Quarter 3 and 4 from 2010 and Quarter 1 and 2 from 2011
- Click 'OK' to refresh the report data
- In the resulting report Total Circulation includes charges, reserve checkouts and renewals, patron and staff renewals, and 'use item', which is logged when the 'mark item used' wizard is clicked. If you do not want to include the reserves transactions in your counts, you should edit your Excel report to exclude them.
- Save and/or export the report as described above.
If you save your report in Director's Station, you will only need to adjust the dates for the following years reports!
revised February 2012