technotes & documentation
Online Resources (Databases) Skills Checklist
- Know the General Skills and be signed up for the appropriate distribution list (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/email/lists.cfm).
- Know how to authenticate for remote use. ( see http://guides.gowyld.net/accesshelp/ )
- Know how to use the features on the Online Resources page to either search multiple resources at the same time or select an individual resource when appropriate.
- Know how to conduct searches in individual resources.
- Know how to use vendor specific help files or FAQs.
- Know how to save, export, or email results.
- Be familiar with vendor specific customization options such as saved searches, folders, alerts, etc.
- Know how to access context sensitive online helps.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Office when other helps don't help.
- Know how to refine searches.
- Know how to use subject links to change searches.
- Know how to use advanced search interfaces.
- Know how to apply basic Boolean and field specific searching.
- Know how to cite an online resource.
- Know how to locate all full text sources using eJournal portal and the Wyoming Union List of Periodicals (WULP)
- Be familiar with the Wyoming Databases Blog for announcements regarding the online resources.
- Be familiar with vendor websites to access tutorials, marketing tools, handouts, and subscribe to news or announcements.
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | Enterprise Catalog | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials