SKILLS: Reports Skills Checklist
- Know the General Skills and be signed up for the appropriate distribution list (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/email/lists.cfm).
- Know how to set up and schedule new reports, view and modify scheduled reports, and access finished reports.
- Schedule established templates (without editing).
- Know what time of day reports should be run - and proper timing for report scheduling (don't schedule more than one at once during the day etc.).
- Know what and how reports can affect other libraries' information (use caution).
- Know how to access context sensitive online helps.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Support Team when other helps don't help.
- Create and schedule new reports using established reports or by manipulating template reports.
- Follow correct naming structures when creating templates (preface report template with three- or four-letter WYLD acronym for your library).
- Know what reports must be run on a regular basis to maintain your library's workflow and information.
- Understand the frequency and purpose of the different reports (i.e., 'count' versus 'list' reports).
- Incorporate finished reports into word processors or spreadsheets and be able to manipulate data in these programs.
- Distinguish between tasks better done with Directors Station and those which require reports. For example it is better to use Director's Station for the Item Statistics Report.
- Understand impact of configuration issues (user login etc.) on access to reports and know to contact WYLD Support Team with questions on this.
- Understand in detail the possible criteria that can be used in running a report and the effect each can have.
- Understand how reports can draw upon data in each module (Bibliographic, Acquisitions, Circulation etc.) and what data can be cross-referenced.
- Understand how to use output options to change the manner in which a report shows its results.
- Know how to troubleshoot reports using the log file or help function (do not delete a report with which you have had a problem until you are certain you no longer need the information for troubleshooting).
- Know how to use the Sirsi webforums and listserv archive to find tips for how to do things with reports. (http://clientcare.sirsidynix.com). Ask your director for the password.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Support Team to work on special reports that aren't available from established or template reports.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Support Team to take advantage of their expertise : someone else may have already asked your question in the past and they just may have the answer.
- Know how to access the WorkFlows Tips Blog. Ask your director or the WYLD Support Team for password.
- Know how to get SirsiDynix Manuals. Ask your director for the password.
- Know how to access the SirsiDynix ClientCare website. Ask your director for the password.
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials | WYLDCAT (e-Library)