SKILLS: Interlibrary Loans Skills Checklist
- Know the General Skills Checklist and be signed up for the appropriate distribution list (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/email/lists.cfm).
- Be able to evaluate a request, determine its source of origin and if a reference interview is necessary to complete the ILL request due to lack of information. Have basic knowledge of electronic resources that are available and how they may be used in processing interlibrary loan requests, especially in the processing of article requests. Example: OCLC Firstsearch (http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/resourcesharing/using/basicrefcard/default.htm ).
- Be able to describe requested material as completely and accurately as possible.
- Know basic research skills and how to conduct a basic reference interview with a patron.
- Be familiar with the help available from the State Library (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/vdx/) as well as VDX helps.
- Be able to execute the WYLD circulation steps necessary at the beginning and end of an ILL transaction ( http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/vdx/tracking.html).
- Understand the VDX work process and how it interacts with the WYLD SirsiDynix system and OCLC.
- Have a working knowledge of the guidelines and procedures stated in the Statewide ILL Manual and the "Interlibrary Loan Best Practices for Wyoming Libraries" statement.
- Know what document delivery options are available at your library and how to use them.
- Know your library's Interlibrary Loan policy, how patrons may access it and who determines when an exception should be allowed.
- Understand the role of the hold map and how to view your library's hold map online.
- Monitor ILL requests to determine library collection needs.
- Know how to access context sensitive online help in Symphony for instructions.
- Know when to contact the WYLD office when other helps don't help.
- Use Federated searching using MYWYLD or the e-journal portal / Serials Solutions database.
- Know how to access and maintain information for your library in the OCLC ILL policy directory.
- Be familiar with guidelines or ILL codes of any ILL groups your library participates in. Examples include WYLD, OCLC, and LVIS libraries.
- For those libraries using the OCLC ILL module, understand the OCLC administrative module and how it interacts with VDX.
- Know options that may be available for "non-supplied" requests.
- Know how to use the Sirsi webforums and listserv archive to find tips (http://clientcare.sirsidynix.com). Ask your director for the password.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/training/reports.html).
- Understand and manage reports using Director's Station Skills Checklist (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/training/dstation.html).
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials | WYLDCAT (e-Library)