technotes & documentation
ILS users group
SKILLS: General Skills Checklist
- Subscribe to the appropriate WYLD email distribution lists.
- Know the basic operating system used at your library, especially on staff computers.
- Know how to access e-Library and/or Enterprise, (both henceforth known in this document as WYLDCat), and WorkFlows
- Be able to move between toolbars in WorkFlows.
- Use Help features, including context sensitive, in WYLDCat and WorkFlows.
- Search and display patron data in WorkFlows.
- Search and display basic item data in WYLDCat.
- Navigate through various tabs, screens, or to next set of records in WYLDCat and WorkFlows.
- Use the WYLD Searching Tips Technote 017
- Know when to place a hold in WorkFlows.
- Be able to place holds in WYLDCat and WorkFlows.
- Know when to contact WYLD Support Team Office when other helps don't help.
- Recognize and access glossaries in WorkFlows.
- Be able to translate Roman numerals into Arabic numbers.
- Recognize temporary (on-the-fly) records, and understand their uses, such as on-order records for acquisitions and temporary records created to circulate items that are not linked in the catalog.
- Be proficient in advanced item searching strategies using all available wizards, helpers, qualifiers, sorts, etc. in WorkFlows and WYLDCat.
- Be able to modify wizard properties in WorkFlows.
- Access the WYLD Network Members web site to answer questions and find procedures.
- Know and follow the WYLD Database Guidelines.
- Use WYLD Technotes pertinent to your area of responsibility.
- Refer to the Wyoming State Library Training Calendar .
- Be able to create temporary (on-the-fly) records to circulate items that are not linked in the catalog.See WYLD Technotes: JavaClient/Cataloging/2009.
- Be able to modify WorkFlows client configuration settings using WorkFlows Preference menu (IP address, barcode scanner, receipt printer).
- Be able to download WorkFlows software from the State Library.
- Understand how circulation policies in WorkFlows govern system operations. See Technote 007.
- Use the appropriate spreadsheet template to request Circulation Map policy file changes for your library.
- Be able to create custom toolbars in WorkFlows.
- Be able to use the SirsiDynix web site.
- Know how to get SirsiDynix Manuals. Ask your director or the WYLD Office for the password.
- Know how to use the SirsiDynix customer resources via the SD Support Center. Contact the WYLD Office by email or phone for access information.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist.
- Understand and manage reports using Director's Station Skills Checklist.
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | Enterprise Catalog | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials