technotes & documentation
SKILLS: General Skills Checklist
- Subscribe to the appropriate WYLD email distribution lists (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/email/lists.cfm).
- Know the basic operating system used at your library, especially on staff computers.
- Know log-in procedures for WYLDCAT and WorkFlows.
- Be able to move between toolbars in WorkFlows.
- Use Help features in WYLDCAT and WorkFlows.
- Search and display patron data in WorkFlows.
- Search and display basic item data in WYLDCAT (http://will.state.wy.us/sis/searchtips.html) and checklist WYLDCat (e-Library).
- Navigate through various tabs, screens, or to next set of records in WYLDCAT and WorkFlows. (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/technotes/note017.html)
- Be able to place holds in WYLDCAT and WorkFlows.
- Know when to place a hold and when to use VDX.
- Know when to contact WYLD Support Team Office when other helps don't help.
- Recognize and access glossaries in WorkFlows.
- Be able to translate Roman numerals into Arabic numbers.
- Recognize temporary (on-the-fly) records, and understand their uses, such as on-order records for acquisitions and temporary records created to circulate items that are not linked in the catalog.
- Know how to access context sensitive online helps.
- Be proficient in advanced item searching strategies using all available wizards, helpers, qualifiers, sorts, etc. in WorkFlows and WYLDCAT.
- Be able to modify wizard properties in WorkFlows.
- Access the WYLD Network Members web site to answer questions and find procedures (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/wyldco.html).
- Know and follow the WYLD Database Guidelines (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/guidelines/guidelines.pdf).
- Use WYLD Technotes pertinent to your area of responsibility (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/technotes/index.html).
- Use the appropriate web form used to request circulation policy file changes for your library (http://cowgirl.state.wy.us/map/circmap_start.cfm).
- Refer to the WYLD Consortium Calendar (http://will.state.wy.us/ldo/planningcalendar.html).
- Be able to modify WorkFlows client configuration settings using WorkFlows Preference menu (IP address, barcode scanner, receipt printer).
- Use FTP or download WorkFlows software from the State Library.
- Understand how circulation policies in WorkFlows govern system operations (http://cowgirl.state.wy.us/map/circmap_start.cfm).
- Use the SirsiDynix web site (http://www.sirsidynix.com).
- Be able to create custom tool bars in WorkFlows.
- Know how to use the SirsiDynix webforums and listserv archive to find tips (http://clientcare.sirsidynix.com). Ask your director for the password.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/training/reports.html).
- Understand and manage reports using Director's Station Skills Checklist (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/training/dstation.html).
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials | WYLDCAT (e-Library)