SKILLS: Circulation Skills Checklist
- Know the General Skills and be signed up for the appropriate distribution list (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/email/lists.cfm).
- Be familiar with WYLD Technote 017: WYLD Workflows Searching Tips
- Check out, check in, and renew materials, including Special Due Date and Modify Due Date helpers, and Bookdrop and Ephemeral wizards.
- Recognize items that need special attention and forward materials accordingly (damaged, missing parts, routing in-transit items, holds, temporary titles, interlibrary loans, special collections).
- Be familiar with the WYLD Card Policy. (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/documents/WYLDcard.html)
- Enter basic patron registration, issue new and replacement cards (User Lost Card wizard).
- Recognize and respond to alerts, notes, and message windows during circulation transactions (Renew Privilege and Add Temporary Title helpers).
- Override transactions.
- Handle basic fine and bill paying procedures (Pay Bill and Bill a User wizards).
- Know how to access context sensitive online help in Symphony for instructions.
- Know when to contact the WYLD office when other helps don't help.
- Maintain patron records in depth (all fields, appropriate use of note and comment fields, overlaying another library's patron record, directing overdue notices to alternate addresses, handling blocked records). The recommended procedure for overlaying a patron record can be found in Tech Note 110 [ http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/technotes/note110.html].
- Handle advanced fine and bill paying procedures (bill for lost item using the Mark Item Lost Wizard, removing fines from items to be discarded).
- Maintain holds (using comment field, removing, modifying, trapping on-shelf item holds, recalls, copy-specific, priority).
- Maintain item information (mark claims returned, missing or lost, item used; change item barcode; check item status).
- Print on-demand from Workflows.
- Use the backup circulation system (Workflows Standalone). Instructions: http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/technotes/javaclient/standalone.pdf
- Retrieve and print daily circ reports.
- Delete patron records.
- Track and clear fines to enable withdrawal of problem items.
- Use reports to track and resolve long overdue, claims returned, lost, missing items, and temporary titles.
- Inventory items, if applicable.
- Configure wizards as needed; know how to copy wizard settings from one computer to another.
- Know how to use the Sirsi webforums and listserv archive to find tips (http://clientcare.sirsidynix.com). Ask your director for the password.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/training/reports.html).
- Understand and manage reports using Director's Station Skills Checklist (http://will.state.wy.us/wyld/network/committees/training/dstation.html).
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials | WYLDCAT (e-Library)