SKILLS: Linking & Cataloging Skills Checklist
- Identify appropriate record (monograph vs. serial, author, title, publisher, copyright date, physical description, etc.).
- Understand the components of the bibliographic record and its corresponding copy records.
- Understand proper use of subfield z ( |z ) (Technote 003).
- Know how to add (link) or remove volumes or copies.
- Understand and effectively use item notes.
Minimum Cataloging Requirements
- Know the General Skills and be signed up for the appropriate distribution list.
- Be aware of cataloging standards: Anglo-American Cataloguing Standards, International Standard Bibliographic Description (ISBD), Library of Congress Rule Interpretations (LCRI), MARC Format, Library of Congress Subject Headings and Database Guidelines.
- Be familiar with the WYLD Network page and the helps available.
- Verify & correct (if necessary) fixed fields.
- Verify & correct (if necessary) the bibliographic description.
- Configure SmartPORT settings in order to add or request records from LC, UW or OCLC (SmartPort Settings).
- Add or request records from LC, OCLC, or UW and be able to overlay existing temporary records with records from LC, OCLC, or UW.
- Assign call numbers based on the Sirsi classification scheme(s) used by your library. Be familiar with the "List the Catalog by Call Number" helper or how to browse your library's shelflist.
- Know how to create and delete a MARC holdings record (Technote 004 and Technote 098).
- Know how to create on-order records such that they will be automatically spotted and merged or overridden (e.g. using the correct title control number), both with the 9XX system and the add title wizard.
- Know how to access context sensitive online help in Symphony for instructions.
- Know when to contact the WYLD Office when other helps don't help.
- Understand the implications of shadowing records.
- Identify and merge duplicate records using the Transfer Title wizard (See Transfer all Holdings from One Bibliographic Record to Another Technote).
- Know how to locate and resolve temporary (on-the-fly) records that either need to be removed, enhanced to level 2 of bibliographic description (see Appendix E of Database Guidelines), or overlaid with records from LC, OCLC, or UW.
- Be familiar with serials in order to correctly maintain serial copy and bibliographic records (see Serials Skills Checklist).
- Be familiar with bibliographic reports (see Report Skills Checklist).
- Inventory items, if applicable.
- Know how to validate headings using the "Validate Headings" helper.
- Know how to create consistent series headings.
- Know how to access the WorkFlows Tips Blog. Ask your director or WYLD Office for password.
- Know how to get SirsiDynix Manuals. Ask your director for the password.
- Know how to use the SirsiDynix customer resources via the SD Support Center. Email Brian Greene, WYLD Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for access.
- Understand and manage reports using Reports Skills Checklist).
- Understand and manage reports using Director's Station Skills Checklist.
acquisitions | cataloging | circulation | Director's Station | interlibrary loans | online resources (databases)
reports | reserves | searching Workflows (Technote 17) | serials | WYLDCAT (e-Library)