online quality homepage
| network members homepage
Online Quality Committee
Thursday, Oct. 30, 2008, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Call to Order
- Roll call
- Present - Kristy Hardtke, Nancy Jennings, Susan Stanton, Stephen Sarazin, Cindy Moore, Beth Floyd, Martha Hanscom, Des Saunders, Bobbi Thorpe
- Absent - Kay Carlson
- Changes or additions to the agenda, approve agenda and minutes from last meeting, September 24th, 2008
- Agenda changed to correct the meeting date to October 30, both agenda and minutes then approved unanimously.
- Serial Records inputting issues - continued from the last meeting
- No action taken. There was a discussion about other library systems having fewer serial records for the same title than WYLD, apparently not strictly following AACR2 Rule 21.2[C2] about a change of the first five words in the title proper triggering the need for a new serial record and closing out the old one. No protocol was identified for how exceptions would be made to AACR2 21.2. Different ways of closing out old serial records and transferring holdings to new records were discussed but no conclusions reached.
- Beth asked whether a display in the iBistro user’s screen of a range of years next to the serial record could eliminate confusion about multiple records in a serial title search. Des said this is not possible with the current software and is not on the radar for future upgrades.
- Des noted the value of MARC holding statements in helping patrons overcome confusion about serial holdings being spread over two or more records.
- Item type policies for audiobooks – results of email survey
- On reviewing the results of the email survey sent to WYLD libraries, the committee unanimously agreed to drop the idea of consolidating the different types of audiobooks (playaways, CD books, books on tape, etc.) into a single item type “audiobook.” Cindy noted that it is helpful to be able to use item types in narrowing a search, and important to provide patrons with clear information about item formats that correspond to their playing equipment.
- Des also pointed out that by preserving different item types, it may be possible in the future to create display icons in iBistro that correspond to the item types (the images currently provided are not too useful, she said, but they’ll likely get better in the future).
- The committee noted that survey comments had revealed some confusion among libraries about how different item types were intended to be used. Des agreed to update tech note 61, “SirsiDynix Symphony Item Types” to clarify the suggested uses of item types.
- The committee unanimously agreed to send another survey about the two item types which appear to describe the same type of physical object, AUDIOCASS and BOOKONTAPE. Beth said she would draft a letter and e-mail it to committee members for approval before sending it to the WYLD libraries.
- Location policy eliminations/combinations
- Des reported that the libraries using the location “INFO_DESK” had agreed to move their items to the location “CHECK_DESK” and the move was already completed.
- The Powell library remains unpersuaded about moving items they have cataloged in “BASEMENT” to the location “STORAGE.”
- Uinta will likely agree to move the two items it currently has in the old location “HISTORICAL”
- Natrona has agreed to move items it has in the now-otherwise-unused location LEARN_CTR, so it should be eliminated next month.
- Announcements & Comments
- Schedule next meeting
The committee unanimously agreed to set the next meeting for November 20, 2008 at 11 a.m.