online quality homepage
| network members homepage
Online Quality Committee
Thursday, April 27, 2006, 11:15 to 12 p.m.
Online Quality Committee
- Call to Order Done.
- Roll call:
- Karling and Mary Jane were unable to attend.
- Bobbi was not able to attend, but Des represented WSL.
- Julie Farr from Sweetwater was present as a guest.
- Changes or additions to the agenda: No additions or changes were made for the agenda.
- Approve minutes of the meeting of March 30, 2006 (posted on web site): The minutes were approved with no changes.
- OLD BUSINESS:
- Report on SWTR requests for audio e-books and YA audio books (Des):
- Des explained some of the issues here. The expectation for audio e-Books is that they will not be in catalog as such but in a separate database. However, this is an issue that we will be studying as this new resource goes forward.
- YA audio books were not discussed specifically. Age-specific item types were discussed in general (e.g. JUVMAG versus MAGAZINE), and whether they are necessary.
- The consensus was that these could be reduced and this should be discussed more.
- More complication with these creates more difficulty with user searches, statistics, and circ maps.
- Looking at these items from a patron perspective was discussed extensively.
- A motion was made to add a sentence to the end of the annual report encouraging libraries to consider their end users when making decisions about item types, locations etc., and it passed unanimously.
- Annual report draft (Susan)
- Susan had already received corrections from the original draft and has posted changes on web site. These were the changes the committee discussed making to the latest draft:
- It was agreed to add considering the patronís perspective when making changes of items (above).
- The discussion of RESERVERM should be clarified.
- Adding a mention of the change in display that Des is implementing to allow better visibility of series statements (see below).
- Request for comments/suggestions draft (Susan)
- Consensus was that this looks good. The only change from the original was to correct the version of Sirsi that we will be upgrading to.
- Discussion of recorded/e-books survey and related issues (Des).
This issue was discussed above.
- NEW BUSINESS:
- Item type request: Audio E-book (Sweetwater)
This issue was tabled based on Desí comments. See discussion above
- Changes to [WYLDCAT] display:
Des reports she "updated the look of the publication info on the full details record in WYLDCAT so that publisher, pagination, date and ISBN are not on separate lines (unless they wrap because of length) which will reduce some of the real estate that the top of the record currently possesses. Additionally, I've been able to add the series statement immediately after the title on the full details, so that it is consistent with it appearing on the hit list. You can preview those changes on Taz."
- This change makes it easier to see series info, and condenses publication information for easier reading.
- The consensus was that this is an improvement.
- Motion to apply this to the production server passed unanimously.
- REMINDER TO SOLICIT NEW COMMITTEE MEMBERS
Susan will discuss with Dale how to solicit applications. Region 1 and 4 and an at-large seat are available.
- NEXT MEETING:
- This will be the last meeting of the year. The new committee chair will set up the next meeting time.
- Susan thanked the committee for their work, and the committee thanked Susan for her leadership.