ONLINE QUALITY COMMITTEE REPORT
WYLD ANNUAL MEETING
MAY 20, 2005
The committee met on monthly basis by conference call.
Its major achievement this year was recommending a second edition of the Database Guidelines to the Regional Council and Governing Board. They were approved and will be distributed at this meeting. They will also be available online.
The committee also reviewed item types, asked for comments, and approved some revisions. This reduced the number of items types to 79; the original number was 89.
The committee struggled with serials and presented recommendation to members for comments. These have been approved. They are not totally satisfactory, but have eased the current problem. WYLD staff asked SIRSI users for suggestions on handling serials and received nothing helpful.
The committee surveyed members on several issues:
- Their preference between juvenile and children as a location. Juvenile was preferred.
- Their use of the serials component including retention and maintenance procedures, summary holdings statement, and need for training.
- Their preferences for down dates for reindexing after authorizing. Memorial Day was preferred date; it is dependent on the authorizing being finished by that date.
- Their preferences about masking availability at the hitlist level in WYLDCAT. The majority did not wish to mask availability.
The committee took these actions:
- Approved inviting interested representatives to attend committee meetings.
- Approved the GMD [game (Xbox)] and the location REMOTE, LOCAL_DOC, and HISTORICAL.
- Encouraged WYLD staff to make the links to Internet (856 fields) in WYLDCAT appear more consistently.
- Recommended a method to add information to the MARC record and MARC holdings record to clarify local licensing agreements for electronic resources cataloged in WYLDCAT.
An indexing subcommittee considered how the database is currently indexed and suggested improvements.
The committee continues to welcome comments and requests and tries to responds to them promptly. It has posted a list of committee actions and a procedures manual on its web page.
Remember to use MARC holdings statements for serials even if you do not use serials
Remember you should ask for changes and report problems.
Remember you can customize your pull down menus.
Remember simplifying the circulation map is desirable.
The committee thanks the WYLD staff; those who responded to our surveys, asked questions or made suggestions; and our outgoing committee member Crystal Stratton and Edie Phillips for their contributions to our work.
The Online Quality Committee
Susan Simpson, Chair - email@example.com
Carol Brown - firstname.lastname@example.org
Sukey Hohl - email@example.com
Donna Rusk - firstname.lastname@example.org
Crystal Stratton - email@example.com
Mary Jayne Jordan - firstname.lastname@example.org
Edie Phillips - email@example.com
Martha Hanscom, UW Liaison
Bobbi Thorpe, WSL Liaison
Desiree Saunders, WSL Liaison