online quality homepage
| network members homepage
Online Quality Committee
January 15th 2009, 11:00 am – 11:40
- Call to Order
- Roll call
- Present - Beth Floyd, Kristy Hardtke, Kay Carlson, Nancy Jennings, Susan Stanton, Stephen Sarazin, Cindy Moore, Martha Hanscom, Des Saunders, Bobbi Thorpe.
- Absent - none
- Changes or additions to the agenda, approve agenda and minutes from last meeting, November 20th, 2008
- Agenda approved unanimously. Minutes, as corrected by Des to change the word "last" to "first" in Item VII B, approved unanimously.
- Grouping item types for advanced searches
- Tabled until next meeting. Des said she would re-send members her e-mails about this from November, as well as a table from director’s station about use of item types by library. Beth suggested that members e-mail each other their proposals for groupings before the next meeting and come to the next meeting having more closely examined the item types and which could be most effectively grouped. Beth had proposed a grouping of book, holidaybk, large print, leased books, new, new-book, paperback, ref-book and thesis, and a juvenile-book grouping of juvbook, juvppbk, newjuvbk and yabook.
- Location policies that were deleted or combined
- Des reported that the old location Learn_Ctr has now been deleted
- Searching by language when item is a dual language
- No action taken. Beth said Casper College has been getting a lot of children’s books written in both English and Spanish. The records are usually brought in with "eng" in the fixed field language code and therefore aren’t searchable by "Spanish" in the iBistro advanced search options. Beth said she has been changing the fixed field in these records to "spa," citing the book "Nana’s big surprise" as an item where this problem had arisen.
- Des said the software had previously read the coding in the 041 field for language searches, but that had been more problematic because it included translated items, and therefore Sirsi had been requested to key searches from the "lang" fixed field instead.
- Bobbi said she hadn’t seen a problem with these records. Beth said she would send her examples of such problems.
- Announcements & Comments
- Beth noted Bobbi had been sending libraries notices about series that she has corrected and asked what kind of authority work she would like libraries to do. Bobbi said she would appreciate it if libraries would follow her instructions on the series tracings, adding that she recently had to redo the tracings on James Patterson’s “Women’s murder club series.” She noted that the Library Database Guidelines state that libraries should validate authority headings at the time they bring records into the WYLD database.
- Schedule next meeting
- The committee unanimously agreed to set the next meeting for Thursday, Feb. 26, 2009 at 11 a.m.
- The meeting was adjourned at 11:40 a.m.