indexing committee page |
online quality page
Ad hoc Indexing Subcommittee
February 16, 2005
Meeting started at 11:00am.
- Present: Sukey Hohl, chair; Stella Terrazas; Margaret Brennamen; Beth Floyd; Bobbi Thorpe; Desiree Saunders
- Absent: Susan Stanton; Crystal Stratton
The agenda was approved.
Beth volunteered to be the recorder.
Discussion about guidelines for how we will make decisions
- Who are we doing this for?
- Will it benefit the patron?
- Keep it simple for the patron.
Discussion about differences between terms
Discussion about specific indexing changes
- 212 (Variant title) - this field was used in the serial format but is now inactive. MARC coding has changed this field to field 246 (Varying form of title) however some records in WYLD still contain field 212. Bobbi thought that during the authority project field 212 would be automatically changed to field 246 and she will verify this with the company.
- 245 (Title) - The suggestion was to include subfields p and n in a browse index. Des will check with SIRSI to see if there is a programming problem with the software to prevent this indexing.
- 246 (Varying form of title) - The suggestion was to exclude subfield i in the browse index. Subfield i displays text indicating where the varying form of title came from. Example: |i At head of title: |a Daughters of the American Revolution. When a title browse search for "at . . ." is typed in one of the entries would be "at head of title daughters of the American". Beth made a motion to exclude subfield i from the 245 browse index. Margaret seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- 505 subfield r (Contents note) - The suggestion was to include subfield r of the 505 field in the keyword author index.
Beth made a motion to include subfield r in the keyword author index. Margaret seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- 490 (Series note not traced) - Discussion included comments about how the series is displayed in Workflows and WYLD Examples were looked at but differences were not seen. This topic will be held over for the next meeting. Committee members will research examples to show.
Discussion occurred regarding the 740 field. Concern was raised about the possible deletion of this field. Bobbi reassured the committee that this field would not be eliminated in the authority project.
Meeting adjourned at 11:40am.
Next meeting March 30 at 11 am.