Data collection for the FY13 Wyoming Public Library Annual Report is open through Oct. 20. (See prior years' reports here.)
We will be moving to a new system called LibPAS where you will enter your report. Your user name and password has been sent to you by email. If you did not receive it, or if you have any questions, please
contact Susan Mark by email or at 307-777-5915.
Log into LibPAS
Once logged in, click on "Data Entry," then use the dropdown menu to select "Public Library Statistics"
LibPAS has tool tips for some items, if you hover your cursor over the data element name. Click on the number to see any definitions.
Public Library Statistics Cooperative (PLSC) data element definitions
Changes to the FY13 survey
Directors Station Reports
- We have moved to a new vendor for the data collection tool for greater flexibility and better ability to report out results. If you need assistance navigating the new interface, please contact Susan Mark by email or at 307-777-5915.
- An explanation of changes to the federal data elements may be found on the PLSC wiki. A breakdown on how this affects you:
- Circulation of Electronic Materials -- in theory, we have always collected circulation of electronic materials as part of total circulation.
For example, libraries were supposed to add e-audiobook circulation to their WYLD + non-WYLD totals.
In practice, this has been collected inconsistently. In addition, because so much e-content in Wyoming is shared, circulation for items such as 3M Cloud Library can be difficult or impossible for local libraries to track.
Still, e-circulation is expected to grow. In terms of the impact to the library, it is significantly different than physical circulation. The PLSC has introduced this data element to begin to tease out this aspect of library service. This year, it is still in the testing phase.
We do not have the ability to determine OneClickDigital or 3M Cloud Library circulation by library. If you have locally purchased items where you can determine circulation, please report that here.
You may also click the "unavailable" box.
- Units versus titles -- this applies to all types of e-content: book, audio and video. Differing license agreements for e-content meant that some e-content was purchased as units with one circulation at a time (eg. 3M Cloud eBooks) while other licensing agreements allowed for multiple uses of the same item (eg. Freading, Zinio)
If you counted titles, the count where a library would buy multiple copies of the same ebook was inaccurate. If you counted copies, the multiple use arrangements in effect meant the library had infinite copies.
The solution was to count "units of purchase." So for arrangements for multiple copies, titles are counted. For single-use files, copies are counted.
This does not apply to Freading, as it is counted as a database.
- I have split out and pre-filled your WYLD circulation, which is all the transactions conducted through Sirsi/Dynix. Non-WYLD circulation would include circulation of electronic materials
and anything you count but do not actually run through Workflows. For example, if you have mass market paperbacks where you keep a tally sheet rather than checking them out in Workflows,
that would go under non-WYLD circulation. Not all libraries may have non-WYLD circulation.
July 1 2013 reports (XLS) from Directors Station on holdings, circulation and patron counts for FY12 that may be helpful in completing the annual report.
To run additional reports, log into Directors Station. Assistance and password information is available from the WYLD office.
Please direct questions to Susan Mark, Wyoming State Library statistics librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org, 307-777-5915. Questions and answers may be posted here as they are received.
- Please do not change any pre-filled fields. If you believe one of these numbers is not correct, please contact Susan Mark, email@example.com, 307-777-5915.
- Circulation should be reported only for items that leave the building, not in-library use.
For this reason, in the spreadsheet provided, Use Item has been subtracted from total and children's circulation.
Your total WYLD circulation has been pre-filled. A separate line is provided for non-WYLD circulation
Children's circulation on the spreadsheet was determined using Item Category 2 - Juvenile in Directors' Station.
If the children's circulation total in the spreadsheet does not accurately reflect the children's circulation in your library, please use your own figures.
- For this report, we want actual dollars received and spent for the year. On operating income, regardless of how these may be accounted for in your official budget, do not report:
- Any pass-through funds, such as Library Endowment Challenge Payments that go to your Foundation.
- The value of any in-kind donations of goods or services
- Funds for capital projects, such as building additions (see definition) Capital revenue is reported separately, by source of funding, under quesetion 20.
- Carryover funds
- Report funding by its original source. Eg.: if it's a federal grant, and your county distributes it to you, it is still considered federal funding.
- Capital revenue and capital expenditures do not need to match
- Employee benefits include payroll taxes paid by the library, not just health insurance, retirement, etc.